How are you guys doing during your first week of classes!? Summer is coming to an end and fall is on the horizon. In the spirit of Welcome Week I present to you the following article, “6 Words That Described My First Week of College”.
- Life Changing: As cliché as it sounds, it’s really true when people tell you that everything changes after high school. College is a whole new experience with its own set of challenges but also its own set of rewards. Even during the first week, you’ve made this realization and are ready for what the rest of the semester has to offer.
- Excellent: In a perfect scenario this should be everyone’s first week of college experience and I am happy to report that for most people- it is! You’re meeting new people, starting to get to know your professors, getting a feel for the campus and all it has to offer and it’s just a generally wonderful time.
- Nerve wracking: As one of my professors told me, “nerves are a good thing, nerves are your friend”. As counterintuitive as that sounds, time and time again it has proven to be true. Being nervous is healthy and with something as big as starting college it would be abnormal not to be nervous! Embrace your nerves, but you will quickly learn that there is not a thing to be nervous about.
- Exciting: You’re just getting your feet wet and the world is your oyster. There are so many opportunities that you can’t wait to get your hands on and the possibilities are endless. Besides that, it’s welcome week and every day there is something new happening! Who wouldn’t be excited!?
- Overwhelming: Yikes! Maybe your first week hasn’t been picture perfect and you’re feeling a little bit more than stressed out. Just like being nervous, it’s perfectly fine to feel a little overwhelmed your first week of college- I know that I did! It’s a big jump going from high school to college and it might take a little time to get used to. But fear not new Seahawks- these feelings of stress will quickly vanish once you find your rhythm and get used to the college flow.
- My favourite response came from my friend Alan, whose response was one simple word with a whole lot of power behind it- Awakening. This word, more than any other word on this list, completely encompasses the college experience. College is its own unique experience and a lot of people ‘find themselves’ in college. This self-discovery and introspection really does start your first week. You’re already considering your major, you’re taking classes that are helping you advance towards your eventual career, and if you’re a recent high school grad like I was, this whole “adult” thing was finally feeling real. College opens your eyes wider than they’ve ever been opened before.
Stress and nervousness will definitely be experienced during your first week at college, but these feelings are fleeting and just as soon as they came they will leave. However, your whole college experience is going to be exciting, it’s going to be excellent, it will change your life, and it will be awakening. We all have pivotal moments in our lives; moments that we can look back on and say “I’m a better person because I did this thing”. Let college be that thing. Enjoy the first week and enjoy the next four years even more. -Dezz